OPEN CALL FOR PROJECTS FOR THE FLAGSHIP “KAPANA CREATIVE DISTRICT”. FOCUS: YOUTHS CORE
On March 27th, Plovdiv 2019 Foundation commenced the fifth phase of the flagship project Kapana Creative District by announcing an Open Call for events in public spaces in Kapana with focus on youths culture, contemporary circus, street art.
The open call aimed to support the implementation of events which would take place at the Core /Yadroto/, among the streets of Kapana and in the parks next to the creative district, and which are inspired and implemented by partnership collaboration with youths organisations and youth participants from Plovdiv and the region.
Eligible activities were:
- Campaigns and Performative acts, Streets Art, Contemporary Circus;
- Artistic Interventions in Public Spaces;
- Dance performances, Theatre, Music, Literature, Cinema.
The project proposals should have complied with:
- The specific characteristics, the status, the history and the contemporary life of the district;
- The goals of the project to develop Kapana as an area for cultural and creative activity;
- The characteristics of the place for which they are suggested and designed;
- The audience which is targeted, as numbers and type;
- The ordinance on public order and security;
- The ordinance on trade activities.
The evaluation of the projects proposals had been done on the basis of the following criteria:
- Creative potential and artistic value of the project;
- Contribution to the implementation of the goals of the Kapana Creative District Project;
- Contribution to the development and the improvement of the urban environment;
- Contribution to attracting and developing new audiences;
- Inclusion of the citizens and the people living in the quarter in the realization of the project.
Total budget of the open call: 50 000 BGN. /final sum with all taxes included/
Deadline for applying: 3rd May 2019
Implementation period: 20th June – 20th November 2019. /the implementation of the projects should not coincide or be in the framework of another big-scale event, taking place in Kapana/.
On 23rd May 2019, with protocol No. 163, the Board of Directors of the Plovdiv 2019 Foundation endorsed the results of the jury, which met on 14th May. Twenty-four proposals were received for the competition. Of these, the jury selected twelve projects, totalling BGN 49,981.07, and proposed one reserve. The selected candidates have to confirm their participation until 31 May 2019.
The candidates’ proposals, the results and the reviews of the jury can be seen in the Protocole here /available only in Bulgarian Language/.
Plovdiv 2019 Foundation does not fix a maximum amount of funding per project thus leaving to the jury the option to decide how many and what kind of events to support. The main requirement towards the applicants is the requested sum to be no more 70% of the whole budget of the project. The participation with own contribution may also be in-kind. The amount of the funding provided by the call is decided on the bases of the decision of the jury and according to the budget and the size of the specific project.
The Call covers production expenses such as, and not restricted only to materials and supplies, fees, rent of technique, travel expenses, overnights. The Call does not cover expenses for acquiring of fixed assets, long-term repair costs and administrative expenses /such as rent and maintenance of offices, etc./.
In the cases when the jury approves a project but with a reduction of the requested sums, which would change initial structure of the budget, the applicant will have one week time, after the public announcement of the results, to confirm in written form whether there is a readiness to make the project according to the new financial conditions and if yes, to present, in the office of Plovdiv 2019 Foundation, the updated budget and application forms.
Projects and events which have received funding through the cultural calendar of Plovdiv Municipality do not have the right to apply for financial support. There are no restrictions regarding the number of projects with which one organization or individual may apply.
Each candidate can apply with no more than one project.
The detailed terms and conditions of the partnership are subject of a contract which is to be signed among the approved applicant and Plovdiv 2019 Foundation on the basis of the Bulgarian Legislation and in accordance with the rating the jury had announced. When reporting the project, the applicants report all the expenses associated with it – both the financial support, received by Plovdiv 2019 Foundation and the individual input.
I. Who can participate?
- Bulgarian and/or foreign legal entities. Bulgarian legal entities should be registered under the Law for Non-Profit organizations or the Commercial Law, Civic entities under the Law for the Obligations and Contracts. Cooperatives under the Cooperatives Act. In addition, youth organizations, foundations, associations, sports clubs and federations, community centres and school boards are explicitly eligible for this invitation. /The foreign legal entities should present a document certifying their registration and current status under the law in the State where they are established/;
- Bulgarian and/or foreign lawful age individuals, craftsmen or freelancers registered in the BULSTAT register (or the corresponding register in the country in which they are settled);
Non-eligible for participation are those who*:
- Are bankrupt or are in bankruptcy proceedings;
- Are in liquidation;
- Have debts towards the state, the Plovdiv Municipality and/or Plovdiv 2019 Foundation, established by an act of a competent authority or obligations to security authorities, unless the competent authority is allowed rescheduling or deferral of duties;
- Have been convicted by a final verdict for an offence against property or against the economy, unless rehabilitated;
- Have not fulfilled the terms of a previous project funding by Plovdiv 2019 Foundation;
- Are in labour relations with Plovdiv 2019 Foundation or members of the Managing Boards of Plovdiv 2019 Foundation.
* The implementation of the above-stated requirements is certified by a declaration which is an integral part of the application documents.
II. List of required documents:
1. Filled in application form (template)*;
2. Filled in Budget form (template)*;
3. For candidates-legal entities: certificate of good standing or extract from a commercial/judicial record or an equivalent document certifying the actual status of the applicant organization. For candidates – natural persons: ID card and certificate of BULSTAT registration /or equivalent registry for freelancers/self-employed in the country where they do business/*;
4. Declaration of participation and authenticity of the candidate (template)*;
5. Declaration for the copyright of the project (template)*;
6. Partnership statement letters (if applicable);
7. Graphic and video materials, presenting the project – visualizations, pictures, etc. (if applicable).
The documents marked with „*“ are obligatory. Applications missing some of the obligatory documents will not be evaluated. When a foreign applicant submits a proposal all the obligatory forms should be submitted also in Bulgarian language. (The forms are available in both languages on our site, please choose English version to download them in English, and Bulgarian version to download the Bulgarian ones. Machine-translated copies are acceptable.)
III. Technical requirements
1. All template documents should be submitted in the format they are given. The documents which require signature of the applicant should be submitted also as scanned files with the signatures on them;
2. The subject of the letter should be: Kapana Open Call . The message body of the letter should present the following information: the name of organization and the name of the project and the implementation period;
3. The maximum permitted size of the package of documents is 10 MB. If the files size is larger, the application should be submitted through a file-sharing platform;
4. Permitted file formats are: doc, docx, xls, xlsx, pdf, odt; additional audio-visual aids materials: .jpg, .jpeg, .mov, .avi, .mp3, .wav.
5. The full package of documents should be sent only electronically latest till 17.00 h on 3rd May 2019 to the following address: firstname.lastname@example.org
IV. Necessary documents for signing the contract in case of approval:
• An up-to-date record from the registration agency or a current status certificate;
• A certificate from the National Revenue Agency and Plovdiv Municipality that the applicant has no obligations – original;
• Certificate of conviction of the person representing the applicant – original;
• The filled-in application form, both from the application stage and in case of update – originals.
• The filled-in budget form, both from the application stage and in case of update – the originals.
• Declarations, according to a template from the application stage – originals;
• Statement of VAT status Declaration;
• Promissory note for projects whose pre-payment amounts are over BGN 10,000 – original;
• Current bank certificate for certifying an active bank account of the applicant – certified copy;
• USB device with scanned and uploaded documents described above.
- Dr Svetlana Kuyumdzhieva – Artistic Director, Plovdiv 2019 Foundation;
- Gina Kafedjian – Deputy Director Programme, Plovdiv 2019 Foundation;
- Franz Kadiri – Volunteers and Regional Relations, Plovdiv 2019 Foundation;
- Dessislava Yordanova – Representative of The Culture Committee of the Municipal Council of Plovdiv;
- Stefan Poslyiski – Representative of The Culture Committee of the Municipal Council of Plovdiv.
About the project
The Project Kapana Creative District aims to sustain and develop the potential of this central urban zone as an area of investigation, innovation and experiments in the cultural sphere, the creative industries and cultural management. The flagship project is part of the programme of Plovdiv European Capital of Culture 2019 in the cluster “Urban Dreams” of the Transform Platform devoted to long-lasting and stable interventions in the urban zone, rethinking and revitalization of the forgotten spaces and the applying of new cultural function in them. With series of approaches, assisting the artistic initiatives and the entrepreneurship in Kapana District, Plovdiv 2019 Foundation works for its affirmation as the first quarter of creative industries in the country. The four consecutive phases of the project since 2014 till the present moment gave the opportunity to the creative industries to search and find its natural place in the quarter. The next step is to present a special emphasis on the youth perspective and creativity as a logical, recognizable and adequate territory of urban space and a bridge to European culture and inspiration and to attract new generation of artists and audiences. https://visitkapana.bg/
The event in our social profile: https://www.facebook.com/events/572934219894870/