RESULTS OF THE FORTH PHASE OF THE PROJECT / FOCUS FRENCH CULTURE
The Call, announced in partnership between Plovdiv 2019 Foundation and Institut français de Bulgarie and aiming to invest 35 000 BGN, generated 49 project ideas, of which 38 from Bulgaria and 11 from abroad.
Cultural organisations, curators and artists from Serbia, France, Japan and Bulgaria – Bourgas, Sofia, Bankya and Plovdiv, presented to the jury events, social initiatives and interventions in public spaces, dedicated to Kapana and inspired by the French Culture. Five are the selected projects starting from November 2017 till May 2018 and among them we will be able to see “The Blue Beard – marriage without a tale” – a site specific performance dealing with the social theme of home violence and abuse, the interdisciplinary project “The Flâneur and the Light Traps” presenting Nina Kovacheva and Valentin Stefanov, laureates of the UNESCO Award for Contribution to Contemporary Art. The other chosen projects will present the first ever printed French grammar book into Bulgarian Language dating from 1869 as well as unique examples of the French publishing houses from XVI, XVII, XVIII c. „EAU DE KAPANA“ will be a special fragrance derived from the notions of the Creative district and there will be also a project dedicated to the roots of the electro-acoustic music. The projects promote Kapana as a real Creative Playground and develop the vision of this flagship for Plovdiv European Capital of Culture 2019 project, by actively involving in it educational initiatives, important social themes and encounters with the high art.
25th October is the deadline in which the leaders of the selected projects should confirm their decision whether they accept the grant or not and if there are withdraws the Jury has selected also 3 projects as reserves.
The full notes and evaluation points of the Jury you can see in the protocol in Bulgarian and English language here:
Here you can read the fuller description of the selected projects:
In april 2018, Studio Canape at Bratya Pulievi street in Kapana will be a host of the project “The Blue Beard- Marriage Without a Tale“. Panik ButtonTheater from Sofia will present the “blue beard” psychological syndrome through the extremely rare for the city theatrical form – a site-specific performance which suggests that the space, where this happens has to be transformed specially for the text and the play. The legend of the Blue Beard, narrated later in the popular tale of Charles Pero will introduce the audience into an important social theme about the trap of women victims of domestic violence. The project is being implemented by a team of Bulgarian and French artists which is focused on culture as a way of solving social problems of contemporary society. The organization will receive funding of 13 000 BGN for the implementation the activities of the project.
Foundation Culture and Сontemporary Plovdiv focuses on the flank- the modern man both as a creator and user of art. The project will bring to Kapana the winners of the UNESCO Prize for Contribution to Contemporary Art (2002), Nina Kovacheva and Valentin Stefanov, who have been working in Paris for years. “The Flâneur and the light traps“ is an interdisciplinary project in which viewers and participants will be able to see some of the latest works of the two artists, as well as the video installation for open city spaces “Phases of Accumulation and Extraction in a Limited Space”. The initiative also includes a lecture called “The cinema in the eye of the flank”, a discussion with students of visual arts with topic “City and Visual Culture” and a literary workshop “Les effarés” – “Fear”. The project receives funding of 15 000 BGN.
The first edition of French grammar in Bulgarian language from 1869 and rare printed publications of French publishers of the XVI, XVII, XVIII centuries, dedicated as themes as philosophy, history, geography, travel, theater, legislation and religion will be presented by the first private bookstore in Plovdiv, located in Kapana- the bookstore “Sofia”. The project “Unique examples of French publishing“, will present to a wide area of public the book publishing in the collections of Dimitar Baldzhiev- a French citizen of Bulgarian origin, born in Plovdiv and devoted his whole life to the passion to search, store, restore and collect editions from the dawn of European book publishing. The collection also documents the leading role of the French culture during the Renaissance and its importance in shaping the spiritual aspect of Europe and the world. The project receives 3 000lv. of the requested 3900 BGN.
Boutique perfume developed by the owner of the leading boutique French company Grasse Au Parfum will be the latest addition to Kapana brand. Melanie Allais works for Paco Raban in the cosmetic group BPI (perfume brand of Issey Mikake) before setting up her own company in 2011 in the capital of French perfumes Grass. The ambition of Baraka initiators is Melanie to transfer her experience and knowledge in developing a boutique aroma with a sense of Kapana district. With a series of demonstrations and French know-how, the Plovdiv creative quarter will have its unique boutique perfume. To realize the idea, Baraka team receives a subsidy of 2600 BGN.
For the first time the Bulgarian audience will be acquainted with the work of the French composer and founder of electro-acoustic music Pierre Henri. All Henri’s works are created by converting and editing sounds. Among his most famous works are the ballet arrangements of Morris Bejar’s troupe, including Orpheus (1958), Journey (1962, The Tibetan Book of the Dead), Variations for the Door and Sigh (1963) and etc. Henry also creates many phonograms for movies, theater performances, radio shows, art installations. The project is in the form of an audiovisual collage with his works, combined with a specific audio-visual environment. The reproduction of the collage in a real time is specially developed by Mihail Goleminov’s computer program. The Bulgarian composer is among the followers of the electroacoustic and so-called specific music and is the creator of many special fonts that are used in modern notations. The project receives the full amount of the requested assistance of 1400 BGN.
Following is the text of the open call which was valid till 29th September:
From 1st August till 29th September 2017 you have the opportunity to apply with a project idea through the Open Call, dedicated to Kapana Creative District. The initiative, organised by Plovdiv 2019 Foundation and French Institute Bulgaria, aims to support events and interventions in public spaces in the central district of Plovdiv Kapana and to present a special French Cultural Focus.
The selected ideas, presenting artistic interventions in public spaces, such as installations, sculptures, projections, functional and decorative design in an urban environment, area specific and site- specific expression and identification of the district, campaigns and acts, exhibitions, dance performances, theater, music, literature, cinema, urban gardening and gastronomy, would be implemented from November 2017 till May 2018.
The budget of the Open call is 35 000 BGN and Plovdiv 2019 Foundation and French Institute Plovdiv do not fix minimum or maximum amount of funding per project thus leaving realistic ground for presentation of the ideas. The guidance and the full package of documents for applying, you can download from: HERE Bulgarian Language and HERE English Language.
The event in FB you can attend HERE.
The present Open Call is the forth, dedicated to the creative district. The initiative aims to sustain and develop the potential of this central urban zone as an area of investigation, innovation and experiments in the cultural sphere, the creative industries and cultural management. Theflagship project is part of the programme of Plovdiv European Capital of Culture 2019 in the cluster “Urban Dreams” of the Transform Platformdevoted to long- lasting and stable interventions in the urban zone, rethinking and revitalization of the forgotten spaces and the applying of new cultural function in them. With series of approaches, assisting the artistic initiatives and the entrepreneurship in Kapana District, Plovdiv 2019 Foundation works for its affirmation as the first quarter of creative industries in the country. The three consecutive phases of the project since 2014 till the present moment gave the opportunity to the creative industries to search and find its natural place in the quarter. Our next step aims the development of yet another side of the potential of the district in the dimension of the European culture and inspiration and the attraction of new artists and audience in it. The project is part of identification of Kapana Creative District and creative playground.
#kapanacall #kapanacallfrance #ECoC #Plovdiv2019 #Plovdiv #together #заедно
The Full text of the open call:
OPEN CALL FOR PROJECTS FOR THE FLAGSHIP “KAPANA CREATIVE DISTRICT”
“KAPANA: EVENTS AND INTERVENTIONS IN PUBLIC SPACES”
FOCUS: FRENCH CULTURE
Plovdiv 2019 Foundation, in partnership with French Institute Bulgaria, announces an open call for the flagship project Kapana Creative District. The call is for financial support of events and interventions in public spaces in Kapana with focus on French culture.
The open call is dedicated to projects proposals, inspired by and dedicated to French Culture, in the following fields:
- Artistic interventions in Public spaces, such as installations /sound and light design incl./, sculptures, objects, projections;
- Functional and decorative design in an urban environment, area specific and site-specific expression and identification of the district;
- Campaigns and acts, exhibitions, dance performances, theater, music, literature, cinema;
- Urban Gardening and gastronomy;
The project proposals should comply with:
- The specific characteristics, the status, the history and the contemporary life of the district;
- The goals of the project to develop Kapana as an area for cultural and creative activity;
- The circumstances of the place for which they are suggested and designed;
- The audience which is targeted, as numbers and type;
- The ordinance on public order and security;
- The ordinance on trade activities.
The evaluation of the projects proposals will be done on the basis of the following criteria:
- High artistic value of the project/event;
- Clear and visible connection with French culture*;
- Contribution to the implementation of the goals of the Kapana Creative District Project
- Contribution to the development and the improvement of the urban environment
- Contribution for attracting and developing new audiences;
- Inclusion of the citizens and the people living in the quarter in the realization of the project;
* The “French culture” does not bind the partnership with a French-born artist, but this adds additional points to the project’s assessment.
Total budget of the open call- 35 000 BGN.
Dead line for applying- 29 September 2017
Plovdiv 2019 Foundation and French Institute Plovdiv do not fix a maximum amount of funding per project and thus leaving to the jury the option to choose how much and what kind of projects and interventions to support. The main requirement towards the applicants is the required sum to be no more 70% of the whole budget of the project. The participation with own contribution might also be in-kind. The amount of the funding provided by the call is decided on the bases of the decision of the jury and according the budget and the size of the specific project. The Call covers the expenses for: production (materials and supplies), fees, rent of technique, travel expenses. The Call does not cover expenses for acquiring of fixed assets, long-term repair costs and administrative expenses /such as rent and maintenance of offices, etc./. In the cases in which the jury approves a project but with a reduction of the required sums in the budget activities, which changes the structure of the budget, the applicant will have one week term after the public announcement of the results, to confirm in written form whether he will realize the project according the new financial conditions and if yes to present in the office of Plovdiv 2019 Foundation the updated budget. Projects and events which have received the support of the cultural calendar of Plovdiv Municipality do not have the right to apply for financial support, according the present regulation. There are no restrictions regarding the number of projects with which one organization or individual may apply. It is also acceptable more than one partnership in each of the projects, yet the Call will not tolerate double funding of activities. The detailed conditions and obligations of the partnership are subject of the contract that the approved applicant signs with Plovdiv 2019 Foundation on the basis of the Bulgarian Legislation and in accordance with the rating the jury had made.
I. Who can participate?
- Bulgarian and/or foreign lawful age individuals, craftsmen or freelancers registered in the BULSTAT register (or a similar register in the country in which they are established);
- Bulgarian and/or foreign legal entities. Bulgarian legal entities should be registered under the Law for Non-Profit organizations or the Commercial Law. The foreign legal entities should present a document certifying their registration and current status under the law in the State where they are established;
- Cooperatives under the Cooperatives Act;
- Civil associations under the Obligations and Contracts Act.
Non-eligible for participation are persons who:
- Are bankrupt or are in bankruptcy proceedings;
- Are in liquidation;
- Have debts to the state or to the Plovdiv Municipality, established by an act of a competent authority or obligations to security authorities, unless the competent authority is allowed rescheduling or deferral of duties;
- Have been convicted by a final verdict for an offense against property or against the economy, unless rehabilitated;
- Have not fulfilled the terms of a previous project funding from Municipal Foundation Plovdiv 2019, and Plovdiv Municipality and French Institute Bulgaria;
- Are in labor relations with Municipal Foundation Plovdiv 2019 or French Institute Plovdiv or members of the Board of Plovdiv 2019 Foundation;
*The implementation of the above stated requirements is certified by a declaration which is an integral part of the application documents.
II. List of required documents:
- Filled in application form (template)*.
- CV /creative portfolio/ of the applicant, respectively to the representative of the juridical entity*.
- For candidates-legal entities: certificate of good standing or extract from a commercial/judicial record or an equivalent document certifying the actual status of the applicant organization. For candidates- natural persons: ID card and certificate of BULSTAT registration /or equivalent registry for freelancers/self-employed in the country where they do business/.*
- Declaration of participation and authenticity of the candidate (template)*.
- Declaration for copyright of the project (template)*.
- Partnership statement letters (if applicable).
- Graphic and video materials, presenting the project- visualizations, pictures, etc. (if applicable).
The documents marked with “*” are obligatory. Applications missing some of the obligatory documents will not be evaluated.
It is highly recommended the Filled in Application form /1./ and The Creative Portfolio /2./ to be submitted both in English and Bulgarian Language.
III. Technical requirements
- All template documents should be submitted as required form of the template. The documents which require signature of the applicant should be submitted signed also as scanned files;
- The subject of the letter should be: Kapana Open Call <NAME OF ORGANIZATION>. The message body of the letter should present the following information: the name of organization and the name of the project;
- The maximum permitted size of the package of documents is 10 MB. If the file size is larger, the application should be submitted through the file sharing platform;
- Permitted file formats are: .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .pdf; additional audio-visual aids materials: .jpg, .jpeg, .mov, .avi, .mp3, .wav. All other formats will not be considered;
- Each project proposal of an organization or individual must be sent in a separate mail;
- The full package of documents should be sent only electronically latest till 17.00h on 29 September 2017 to the following address:email@example.com;
- Pierre Guillemet- Attaché Culturel, French Institute Bulgaria
- Kamen Kalev- Independent expert
Kamen Kalev is a director, producer and screenwriter. He studied cinematography at the National Academy of Theater and Film Arts Sofia, then continues and graduates Directing at the French National Academy of Cinematography La Fémis, Paris Ecole Nationale Supérieure des Métiers de l’Image et du Son in Paris. With his first films, he took part in the film festivals in Sarajevo, Berlin, New York, Stockholm, Cannes and others. His debut movie “Eastern Plays” (2009) is the first Bulgarian film since 1990 to be selected for the Cannes Film Awards. The movie is also a prize winner for Best Film Award and Best Director of the 22nd International Film Festival in Tokyo.
- Ljubo Georgiev- Independent expert
Ljubo Georgiev is an architect combining design, academic and socially engaged experience. He studied architecture at IUAV (Venice, Italy) and TU Delft (Delft, The Netherlands). Lubo worked and lived in Scotland, Italy, the Netherlands and China. He is the author of several articles and has been a lecturer at various conferences in Europe. He has wide experience as a designer and head of multi- disciplinary teams. From 2014 till 2016 he is the director of ONE ARCHITECTURE WEEK in Plovdiv and is currently the head of the team coordinating the design of the vision for long- term development of Sofia.
- Svetlana Kuyumdzhieva- Artistic Director, Plovdiv 2019 Foundation
- Gina Kafedjian- Manager Project and Events, Plovdiv 2019 Foundation
About the project
The Project Kapana Creative District aims to sustain and develop the potential of this central urban zone as an area of investigation, innovation and experiments in the cultural sphere, the creative industries and cultural management. The flagship project is part of the programme of Plovdiv European Capital of Culture 2019 in the cluster “Urban Dreams” of the Transform Platform devoted to long-lasting and stable interventions in the urban zone, rethinking and revitalization of the forgotten spaces and the applying of new cultural function in them. With series of approaches, assisting the artistic initiatives and the entrepreneurship in Kapana District, Plovdiv 2019 Foundation works for its affirmation as the first quarter of creative industries in the country. The three consecutive phases of the project since 2014 till the present moment gave the opportunity to the creative industries to search and find its natural place in the quarter. Our next step aims the development of yet another side of the potential of the district in the dimension of the European culture and inspiration and the attraction of new artists and audience in it.
DOWNLOAD DOCUMENTS [Available in Bulgarian and English language]